Sunday, March 28, 2010

Man is Without Excuse

Have you ever stopped to listen to the birds? Not just noted that one really strange bird chirp that catches your ear, but really stopped and set your ears and mind fully on the sounds? As I sat on the front porch swing early this morning, the cold air on my neck, the sun beginning to peep over the silhouette of tall pines, I listened intently to the birds. I was shocked. There had to have been at least a dozen different bird chirps! They were all so unique and lovely, but it made me wonder why God created birds to chirp. Honestly, I see no reason other than he's a loving God who wanted to give us an earth full of things to enjoy. Bird chirping seems pointless when you think about it. But the fact that God thought so much about how humans would experience the earth and made it for our pleasure practically brings me to my knees. As I sat there, looking across the street to the orange reflection in a pond surrounded by bright yellow flowers, I  realized that man is without excuse.

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

Really, how in the world can a person seriously consider creation and not believe in God. Creation is so full of intricate details, it is impossible that there is not a Creator holding all things together. The fact is, people either busy themselves so that they never have time to seriously consider nature or anything spiritual or they have seen the complexity of nature and simply reject God. I have a friend who is totally fascinated with nature. I mean, more intrigued and interested in nature than anyone I've ever met. And still he is not a Christian. I'm pretty sure he knows deep down inside of him that there has to be a Creator, but he has simply rejected him. I will keep praying for him and asking the Lord to soften his heart to surrender. But scripture says he is without excuse. Creation screams praise to it's Creator! We are stupid not to acknowledge a Savior after spending time outdoors.

"The heavens proclaim the glory of God; the skies display his craftiness. Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, their words to all the world." Psalm 19:1-4

No comments: