Saturday, March 20, 2010

Not by human wisdom, but by the power of God.

Today was a lovely day! I got off work early, grabbed my park blanket, laid in the sun, and read.

I read 1 Corinthians 1-2 today and had a small revelation.

I realized that it is only by the grace of God that we, as humans, even have the capacity to believe and have faith. Our own knowledge and emotion cannot be depended upon to motivate us to remain faithful to Jesus, only the wisdom and power of God can overcome.

Paul says that he was not called to baptize, but to proclaim the gospel. He proclaimed the gospel not with eloquent wisdom, so that the cross of Christ might be emptied of its power. In other words, if it is only by eloquent words that a person is persuaded to believe in Jesus, it would not be real belief.

Paul says that the Jews demanded signs and the Greeks desired wisdom. Which one are you? Are you a person who is always looking for the next spiritual high, emotional experience, or powerful vision in order to remain a believer? Or are you one who seeks knowledge; to be able to prove everything and know it with all certainty. Either way, our minds and our hearts deceive and fail us.

Unfortunately, Paul lets us know that Christ crucified is a stumbling block to those who seek knowledge and proof and foolishness to those who seek emotional experiences. A person cannot stand firm in their belief simply because they have all the facts and proof about the Cross. Eventually their knowledge will fail them. A person cannot stand on faith if all they rely on are experiences. Eventually they will have an experience that leads them to something other than God.

No, in fact, we do not even have the capacity to believe and have faith in Jesus Christ without the power and wisdom of God. Without God's wisdom and power we would eventually give up. We would give in to our flesh and follow the ways of this world.

If all we depend on is intellect or emotion to remain faithful to God....we will fail. We have to depend on God to remain faithful to God.

No amount of knowledge or experience can make you believe in Jesus Christ. Only by the grace of God.

Paul writes in verse 4-5, "my speech and my proclamation were not with plausible words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the spirit and of power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God".

God, will you give me grace so I will be capable of believing, trusting, and having faith in your Son? I know I cannot rely on my experiences or my intellect to keep my faith strong. I've tried to believe in my own power so many times and I always fall. I need your wisdom and your power. Teach me your ways, oh my King. I am so in love with you.

No comments: