Monday, February 8, 2010

1 Thessalonians

I am always so amazed when all the little random things I've been learning all of the sudden come together in a light bulb moment. It's so beautiful how God orchestrates our surroundings to remind us and emphasize things he wants to teach us.

1 Thess. 5:16-18:

Rejoice always


Pray continually


Give thanks in all circumstances


For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 

I've noticed recently how so many of us are always asking for God's will.

God, is your will for me to take this job, move to this city, make these friends, get involved with this congregation? God, I want to do your will.

We basically ask him to tell us exactly what to do.

When I was praying about going to Australia versus not going to Australia, I learned this lesson from Colossians 3:17.

"WHATEVER you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." 

As I prayed and asked for God's will, to go or not to go, he simply said....

"You decide."

That was NOT the answer I wanted.

But in his sweet, loving, gentle voice he reminded me that I can serve him there or here. He told me that it really didn't matter what I chose, as long as I did it for his name.

The important thing was not the location or the work, but the motive.

And Thessalonians says the same exact thing!

Whatever circumstance you are in- rejoice, pray, and give thanks.

That is God's will!

How simple!

So when I go to God and ask him if it's his will to do this or that, I need to remember that if it is for him, and through him, and makes his name famous, then it is his will.

Jesus, is it your will for me to stay in Tyler? To go to Haiti? To go to Bethel? To work at Pine Cove? Etc.....

If you rejoice, pray, give thanks, and do those things in my name....then YES.

Wheph, that gives me so much peace and relief. It releases me to stop worrying so much about doing his will that I miss the opportunities right in front of me to rejoice, pray, give thanks, and work in His Name.

And so now, I'm going to go clean my room, get my medical records sent off, and do some random chores while rejoicing, praying, and giving thanks....so that Jesus is glorified!

No comments: